Saturday, 21 May 2016

Week 7 Milestone


Alhamdulillah, completed the initial phase of my honours project -- MIC and checkerboard assays for all my 24 samples. Yippeedoodaaa! :)

Decided to feature this song up here to mark this victory because I can't deny the fact that listening to Chris Martin's voice (+ the very apt lyrics) on the radio at least 3 times a day Monday to Friday between 9am-5pm did boost my morale. Funny how this very song would always be on when the shoulder starts to sore from looking down at the plates for too long or when my thumb muscle starts to strain because of the continous pipetting. All in good fun but reality is there's always a limit to your abilities so, good job, Kartika for pushing your limits and soldiering on :) *self mega-bear hug*

What more can I say about honours now that I'm approaching Week 8?

a) Haven't been doing as much reading as I should (yes, guilty as charged.)
b) Thankful that I'm really enjoying my labwork despite the repetitiveness and unknowns (not in terms of variables, more of outcomes --- I sound like a total nerd there, HAH!)
c) Finding friends in strangers -- here's a special shoutout to my labmates. Such a fun bunch even though our projects are not related and when you're in a box having similar worries, you'll find yourselves depending on each other way more than you'd expect. Always treat others with kindness.
d) Had a couple of meltdown in the span of 7 weeks. I'd say that's less than I expected pre-Honours though "there's more to come" may be true to a certain degree, we'll see. I remembered one day I decided to call my parents midweek at midnight (in Adelaide, almost their bedtime back home) just to have a chat. I knew they could sense something was wrong with me (or my mood) and me being me, was trying to steer the conversation all towards them and home. At the end of the day, despite the vast distance and so-called independence I've been striving for, I'm still my parents little baby. 24 years later and I still cannot deny that fact. Also, a special shout out to Sushis, despite the different timezones for half of us, always there to deal with my rants and usual random #karlakar (credits to mal? or eish? for the hashtag) jokes.
e) No where near sorting my internship applications. gasp.

To deal with my emotions, I've been enjoying walks at the park on weekends (most weekends, when it's not raining. and the duvet isn't as tempting). Or taking different routes, just because. :)

Here's to more discoveries!
(of everything)

No comments:

Post a Comment